Konami has officially announced when fans of the Metal Gear Solid franchise can finally get their hands on The Phantom Pain – and it isn’t too far off at all.
September 1 marks the global release date for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, and Director Hideo Kojima has stated that The Phantom Pain is the last MGS game in the series, ending the saga that has spanned over a decade.
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain brings with it a plethora of new gameplay mechanics, improving on everything its prequel – Ground Zeroes – showed off this time last year. Realistic weather patterns, day and night cycles, expanded CQC (Close-Quarter Combat) skills, vastly improved enemy AI, online elements that complement the single-player campaign, and of course – Metal Gear Online – are all included in the package when it launches at the beginning of September.
A Day One Edition and a Collector’s Edition have also been announced for MGS V, but there’s been no news from local Australian retailers on whether they’ll be heading to our shores as well. Even-so, here’s what comes with each edition –
The Day One Edition of MGS V includes a physical copy of the Map from the game and five sets of DLC, including a special handgun (known as Adam-ska), a Personal Ballistic Shield, a Wetland Cardboard Box, a Blue Urban Snake costume and an XP Boost for Metal Gear Online.
The Collector’s Edition of Metal Gear Solid V includes:
- Half Scale Replica of Snake’s Bionic Arm
- Collectible Steelbook
- Behind the Scenes Documentary & Trailers Blu-Ray Disc
- Physical copy of the game’s Map
- Exclusive Packaging
The Weapon and Shield Pack –
- Windurger S333 Combat Special Revolver
- Adam-ska Special Handgun
- Machinen aktische Pistole 5 Weiss Special Handgun
- Rasp Short-Barreled Shotgun
- Olive Drab, Silver, White and Gold Personal Ballistic Shields
Other Misc Items –
- A Rocky Terrain, All-Purpose Dryland and Wetland Cardboard Box
- Black Ocelot, Gray Urban, Blue Urban and All-Purpose Dryland Snake Costumes
- A Venom Snake Emblem
Metal Gear Online Items –
- Metal Gear Online XP Boost
- Metal Gear Rex Helmet
- AM MRS-4 GOLD Assault Rifle
- WU S. PITSOL Gold
At the time of writing there’s been no news on whether we can expect to see the Collector’s Edition arrive on Australian shores, but hopefully we’ll hear some good news soon and I’ll update this post with pricing.
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain releases on the 1st of September on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC.