Launching in August last year, the YouTube Gaming app was the popular video on demand service answer to managing gaming content in one easy dedicated destination. However, many countries such as Australia and New Zealand missed out on the app.
From today, the iOS and Android app will now be available to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland viewers allowing viewers to watch and stream their favorite gaming content off YouTube directly to their mobile devices.
The new update has also added a few new features and tweaks:
- Homepage navigation: Say goodbye to the sidebars! We’ve simplified the homepage to make it easier to find what you’re looking for.
- Game and channel browsing: We’ve added pages for you to manage your games and channels, plus discover new ones.
- Dedicated live destination: You’ll find a new “Live” tab on the homepage that brings together top streams, top games, and streams from channels you’re subscribed to.
- Android live playback: Our Android live stream player joins iOS and the HTML5 desktop player with an upgrade to support quality switching, 60fps playback, and DVR mode.
- Pop-out player: On Android, you can now pop out the YouTube Gaming player to keep it visible above other apps on your device.
YouTube Gaming has never been locked in Australia as content creators were able to upload/stream via desktop but the availability of the mobile app now allows a bigger reach and ease of access for the audience.